Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Paris Planning Activities of Late

Here's what I've been up to:

1) This morning: Walk the dog listening to a fifteen-minute Coffee Break French iPod podcast that I downloaded from iTunes for free. I listened to Lesson 3 a few times now. Today was the last day, and I am ready now for Lesson 4. The instructor suggested that I go online and do the worksheets offered there to reinforce what I am learning, but I am lazy. I love listening to the two who give the lessons - Mark and Anna - they speak English with Scottish accents and their French is, from what I can tell, quite good! Mark sounds like Gerard Butler. This morning, I wondered what they looked like. I just looked at their photos on the Coffee Break French web site ... now I know! : ) Since I have their web site bookmarked now, I guess I'll be less lazy and try to follow up my podcast lessons with online activities.

2) Last night:  Watched a great movie ... "Paris, Je t'aime" (2006). Here's the trailer, from YouTube.

Gosh, this was PERFECT for getting in the mood to visit Paris! Someone wrote a comment on my blog about not worrying about being prepare if it rains in Paris, but be prepared to fall in love. In this movie, one woman is a middle-aged letter carrier from the States who visits Paris by herself and falls in love with ... well, don't want to spoil the movie for you, even though it's just one of the many love stories in this quirky, sentimental and joyous movie that's like a book of short stories - some funny, some very poignant. Who's seen it??? Which was your favorite segment? Hard to pick just one ... they're so well put together, "the sum is great than the parts," as they say.

P.S. Yes, I already saw the movie Amilee, which someone recently said I should see, when it first came out; that was wonderful, too.

Until Paris ... only 141 days!

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh, I love this movie. I own this movie. I agree. The sum is so much more than the parts. But I find there are a few segments I always go straight to:
1. The Louvre metro stop. Hilarious.
2. The one where the man falls in love with his dying wife all over again. Sad yet romantic.
3. The older couple preparing for their civilized divorce. Such chemistry.

I know you are probably inundated with suggestions, but if you haven't already seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, those are good mood-setters as well. Before Sunrise is set in Vienna. Before Sunset catches up with the same couple 9 years later in Paris. You don't have to see the first movie to enjoy the second (I actually saw the sequel first).

BTW, I've finally come to a decision on where I'm spending my 50th in October. Five Months Until Venice!

Je m'appelle Cynthia said...

Thanks for chiming in.

Start your Venice blog! Or do you have one already?Italy is next for me.

I'll take you up on your Before Sunrise/Before Sunset suggestion. Sounds like a "must-see."

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Ohhh super pick!!! Will have tockeck it out!!

The Armchair Parisian said...

Yup ~ I own this one too :-) My favorite segments are the one with Steven Buscimi in the metro (in my opinion, this was the best one) and the one in Pere Lachaise in front of Oscar Wilde's grave. Very well done.

I also own Amélie and Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. La Vie en Rose is also good, if not a trifle too long. And don't forget French Kiss (Meg Ryan & Kevin Klein) ~ trés cute :-))

If you haven't haunted it yet, go on tripadvisor.com forums (Paris forum, of course) and search Paris Movies, or Paris Books or anything you're looking for, or just read random posts, and you will find a wealth of information!

The Armchair Parisian said...

Yup ~ I own this one too :-) My favorite segments are the one with Steven Buscimi in the metro (in my opinion, this was the best one) and the one in Pere Lachaise in front of Oscar Wilde's grave. Very well done.

I also own Amélie and Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. La Vie en Rose is also good, if not a trifle too long. And don't forget French Kiss (Meg Ryan & Kevin Klein) ~ trés cute :-))

If you haven't haunted it yet, go on tripadvisor.com forums (Paris forum, of course) and search Paris Movies, or Paris Books or anything you're looking for, or just read random posts, and you will find a wealth of information!

From the BBC series on Paris, Blood and Chocolate (Part 2 of 3). Enjoy!

Streets of Paris - I shot this the day I left Paris, on a rainy September morning.

Small group Paris tours for women