Saturday, March 12, 2011

Like Going To Paris A Second Time

Just like the flowers sold outside the metro
It's now been over five months since my first trip to Paris. But this weekend, I got to go a second time - without even boarding a plane - with a trip to the Philadelphia Flower Show where the theme this year was Springtime in Paris. The displays were so breathtakingly beautiful, they brought tears to my eyes! I was so happy to be there.

First, we bought our tickets ...
Then we hopped in the car and drove to Philadelphia, which is less than a half hour from where I live.
Even before you enter the Convention Center where the show is, one of the first things you will see are people leaving the building and out on the streets holding large tissue paper flowers - nearly a foot in circumference - on long wooden sticks. They hold the flowers up high like a parasol - and they're so bright and delightful, you must have one - the way you must have an ice cream cone after you pass by someone eating it on the boardwalk at the beach.

What is your favorite color or favorite flower? When you see it, you will want to take pictures of it. 
me
This was a very creative/innovative display - one in a series
Another silhouette in the series - a woman walking her poodle
In the boudoir
Can you recreate this for my next fête?
Very French inspired with their hats ...
And isn't the star on her check a nice touch?
Mod elegance
A peacock made of flowers - for the carousel
The Eiffel Tower in Philly!
Complete with antique lamps - and flower arrangements to die for!
An Eiffel Tower made of moss. You can do this, too.
Like Monet's Garden ...


What did I buy at the show? Well, I had to have one of those big paper flowers, of course. It was so bright outside when we left the building at about 4pm - the big flower "umbrella" shaded my eyes from the glaring sun. I also bought a little bunny rabbit figurine for my mom because she asked for it. And this bottle of 25-year aged balsamic vinegar (at $30 plus tax). Because Paris is about the food, too ...
The balsamic vinegar on our little Niçoise salad - a lovely way to end a delightful day!

I have more photos to share with you in another post. Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

9 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

Oh it does look truly fabulous!
Lucky you.
Wish I could have gone...but your pictures are like being there.
Merci indeed
Carolg

Meg Mitchell said...

How absolutely lovely. It does remind me so much of Paris. I love the little touches of the Eiffel Tower in so many places. Would have loved to see all the wonderful ideas for my own garden.
Can't wait to see more of your photos.
Meg

Inside My Paris Heart said...

So much thought has gone into this and your skills behind the camera are great. How lucky are you to have experienced this, and I felt like I was there too.
Thanks for sharing
Judith

Anonymous said...

Hi. We are the three with the French inspired hats in your photos from the Flower Show. You are a woman like myself. In fact, I am turning 50 in August and am seriously thinking of going to Paris to celebrate my 50th birthday. I have never been but I love all things French. Thank you for your blog, creativity and inspiration. Ooo la la is all I can say. Karen

Anonymous said...

Also, I would love to keep in touch by e-mail. My e-mail is kandkmccall@verizon.net. I live 30 minutes outside Phila myself. We could be neighbors for all we know. Karen

L said...

i know exactly what you by falling in love with a place and counting the days until you're able to go back, lol. Very pretty flowers in your post!

Marie-Thérèse said...

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed your photos from the Flower Show, which, unfortunately, I had to miss this year.

I have to say, though, that you were definitely one of the "prettiest" flowers in the show.

Hope to cyberchat soon. I've been a very bad blogger these days.....not enough time in the day (sigh!).

'LUSH' said...

Incredible the silhouettes and the peacock............all are so captivatingly beautiful!

d e l i g h t said...

Hello, I found your blog this morning and your profile reminds me so much of my first trip to Paris in September 2008. I long to go again! A new follower.

From the BBC series on Paris, Blood and Chocolate (Part 2 of 3). Enjoy!

Streets of Paris - I shot this the day I left Paris, on a rainy September morning.

Small group Paris tours for women