Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dear Bed Bugs: Stay out of Paris! Signed, Cynthia

Eeeeewwww!



It's in the news everywhere you look (a big segment about bed bugs appeared in today's Good Morning America show).

After researching the tiny pest and measures to control infestation ad nauseum, I wonder why this is such a problem now. Bed bugs have been around for centuries.  That's why people beat rugs and mattresses outside with brooms like in some Charles Dickens novel. And I've slept in all kinds of questionable establishments in my time where I'm sure a bed bug has lurked, although I have no memory of getting bitten. I've never had a problem with the critters. Are people becoming more lax with their housecleaning?

Apparently, the traveler must be on guard against bed bugs, even at the best hotels. My strategy is to encase my belongings in Zip Lock bags. My biggest fear is not so much as getting bit by a bed bug in Paris as it is bringing a pregnant one (or a procreating couple) home with me from my trip.

Ugh.

Fortunately, at home I change sheets often, wash and dry on high heat (which kills the buggers). And while on my trip I will have a secret weapon (talcum powder) at my disposal to sprinkle on my body at night (it's supposed to keep the bed bugs away), and of course the previously mentioned Zip Lock bags.

I can't think about this any more.

Until Paris.

Sleep tight!

3 comments:

Meg Mitchell said...

There are no bed bugs in Paris. Would you lunch on some poor tired tourist when you have all those cafes, and bistros to satisfy your hunger? Bed bugs are probably roaches over there.

Je m'appelle Cynthia said...

If you watch the video you'll see the bed bug capital is actually Ohio. I hope too many Ohioans don't go to Paris next month and spread bugs. !!!

Je m'appelle Cynthia said...

Call me paranoid ...

From the BBC series on Paris, Blood and Chocolate (Part 2 of 3). Enjoy!

Streets of Paris - I shot this the day I left Paris, on a rainy September morning.

Small group Paris tours for women